Thursday 9 October 2008

Love Australia!

When I was a child my dad used to occasionally go into an Aussie accent (he served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Brisbane and loved to show it off.) I remember he used to always say, "G'day mate, (pronounced might) and it mate (pronounced might) not!" And we loved it! We'd always ask him to say it over and over and over again. And I always wished that someday I could pick up on that accent.

Then I met Brad a week off his LDS mission (he served in Sydney), and he would always slip into an aussie accent, and, well...obviously I loved it, we're married! The accent NEVER gets old to me! I love to hear it! There are still so many times that I go to the shops and hear something that I haven't heard before and I LOVE IT!!! So I just thought that it would be fun to share a few of my favourite aussie slang words/phrases that I hear quite regularly. It never gets old!

Dummy: pacifier
Shopping trolley: shopping cart
Flat out: busy as can be
Stack it: to fall down, "She totally stacked it!"
puffed: To be out of breath
Arvo: Afternoon
Unco: Un-coordinated

And if all that hasn't gotten you excited to come to visit Australia, here is the latest travel and tourism ad done by Baz Lurman. He took some time off from filming "Australia" the movie with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman to film this commercial (click that to see it). It's just beautiful!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Australia! Beautiful is right! And, I loved seeing what you did during your day! You're a wonderful mother!