Sunday 23 November 2008

Happy Anniversary...(sort of)

Seven years ago on the day after Thanksgiving I was sleeping snuggly in my bed when all of a sudden I was attacked with silly string by my roommates.  I was very annoyed with them!  Then good old Andrea came in with pancakes, ice cream, strawberries...yum!  Breakfast in bed!!  I opened the card, it was from all my roommates and Brad declaring that it was "Happy Kim Day."  It read, "We wanted to thank you for all that you always do for us, so we're taking a day to say thank you."  Cool!  

At the bottom of the card was a  message from Brad saying to be dressed and "ready for a sweat" by 9am and a "Mr. Jenkins" would be there to pick me up.  I was very excited and intrigued.  I looked at the clock, it was 8:30 (I miss those days of sleeping in) so I jumped out of bed and got dressed.  When I came downstairs this is what I found:

 Brad was waiting for me, roses were on the table, balloons and streamers everywhere and a sign on the door that read, "Happy Kim Day."  This was gonna be good.  

Brad and I went and jumped in the car and he drove me to The Quarry, an indoor rock climbing gym.  Awesome!!  This was one of my favourite things to do and Brad and I had never done it together before.  So we spent the morning checking out each others butts, climbing the walls.  So fun.  

When we arrived home, he handed me another card and said to hurry inside and to not read the card until then.  So I rushed into my apartment and opened it.  It said that another person was going to be there to pick me up and to not shower yet (weird).  So my roommate's sister, Jenny, picked me up and drove me to a place to my surprise to get my nails done.  


After that Jenny gave me another card that said to run inside, shower, and do my make-up but not do my hair (again, weird), and then run to apartment 23 where Courtney lived (She's a hairstylist) to, surprisingly enough, have my hair done.  By this point I started to get just a little suspicious but still had no clue what was on the horizon.


When Courtney finished with my hair she gave me another card that said, "Now that you're primped and beautiful (don't touch your hair it looks great! [he knew me too well]) hurry home and up to your room."  When I got to my room I found a beautiful formal gown laying on my bed with another note saying, "Put me on, I'll look stunning on you.  But hurry we've got to leave by 4:30p."  

By this point I kinda started freaking out, but still had no idea what was on the horizon.  I was a bit nervous, yet oh so excited!

When I was dressed and all ready to go, I came downstairs to find Brad dressed in a tuxedo.  Hubba Hubba!  (No, this wasn't unusual.  Brad and I used to always get dressed up and go to plays and out to dinner and stuff.  He had just never bought me a dress before :).
We went out to the car and started driving towards Salt Lake City.  It was a 45 minute car ride and I have NO CLUE what we talked about.  I don't remember one spec of that conversation.  My mind must have been somewhere else.  

He drove to Temple Square for the day-after-Thanksgiving turning on of the Christmas lights!!  This is one of my all time favourite things in all the world.  I love being there when they turn on the lights!  It's so magical.  Unfortunately we were a little bit late and they were already on.  We walked to this little secluded corner and he just stood there for a long time talking about nothing at all.  Then I convinced him to wander around with me.  (I had no clue he was planning on proposing.  I just thought he was acting weird.)  

So we wandered around for a while, then he took me right back to that secluded corner.  We stood there for a while longer, then we turned to me and said something like, "I took you rock climbing this morning because I trust you with my life, I wanted you to be all primped up so you would know how special you are to me, and I've brought you here to Temple Square because I want to spend the rest of eternity with you."  He then got down on this knee, pulled out the ring and said, "Kimberly Blunck, will you marry me?"  To which I replied, "Of course I will!" - with no hesitation I might add.  I threw my arms around his neck and gave him a huge hug.  Then he pushed me back and said, "Aren't you even going to look at the ring?"  Oh yeah, small detail!  It was beautiful!  

After all this, we walked around the corner to Cafe Molise, the best Italian restaurant I had ever eaten at.  And the whole time I made sure I used my left hand for everything.  I wanted everyone to see it!  We even stole a menu from the restaurant and (whenever we have our stuff) proudly display it in our kitchen in a beautiful frame. 
(sorry, unfortunately digital cameras weren't as prevalent, so we couldn't retake this pic...too bad his eyes were closed!)

Thank you Brad!  It was a beautiful night.  The perfect beginning to a beautiful life.  I love you!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim thanks so much for writting me. Every once and a while I get my little grover voice and say "near, far" its not as funny without you on the other end but it always reminds me of you. Sorry it is probably dorky that I bring that up, but I do think about you a lot. You were such a great friend and I am forever grateful for your friendship. I am so glad to see that everything is going well for you. Your daughter is so beautiful. It is cute to hear how Brad proposed to you. Isn't it so wierd to have been married for so long. Maybe it isn't for you, but I still have moments that I can hardly believe that I have been married for seven years, and that I am a mom of two amazing children. I don't feel much older then I did when I left home to go to college, but my age says different. Anyway I wish that I had more to say about our adoption, but we are still just waiting. The birthmom that we have been matched with said that she was due October
28th, but something tells me that her "due date" wasn't quite right. She hasn't been seeing a doctor and so there are no for sure dates or anything, which is frustrating. I will let you know when I find out more. I look forward to talking to you more later. Have a great day.
-Alyssa

Stephanie said...

That is such an awesome story! I'm glad you shared it.

Bethani said...

That is such a wonderful and beautiful story! (I teared up!) How much fun will that be to tell your kids one day. I remember getting to know you so long ago, and I am so glad that you met such a wonderful man that will show you how beautiful you are and remind you of that every day :)

Kiersti said...

That is the Brad I know! What an amazing proposal story - I'm totally tearing up, and I don't cry! I know you know this, but you married such an amazing guy, and it just reminds me of high school a little bit and remembering how much fun he was. So happy "Kim Day" anniversary, and tell him I say "hi".
Kiersti, long lost high school buddy.

The Blunck Family said...

I remember your special day. I was so happy that you and Brad found each other and I knew you loved him very much. You have had so much fun together in your seven married years. And to top it all off you were blessed with sweet little Amelia! Loved hearing the story again.
Love Mom

Unknown said...

That is so sweet! My memory is failing, btw. Did you live in Sparks Apartments or is it just me? One of those pictures reminds me of my "lovely" time there :)

Heidi said...

Ok, I love my husband, but I'm so jealous!! How cute was that. I think my husband was just so scared because things moved so fast with us. It was scary because it felt so right, so fast! I remember when you worked at Orem Institute and I would come say "Hi" sometimes. Funny thing, I remember you telling me then that you were thinking about having a baby soon. And now I catch up with you and you live in Australia. Oh how life is everchanging!