Wednesday 10 December 2008

True Story!

I'm not kidding folks, this is a true story!  

Yesterday Sharon and I decided to head down to Hornsby to do some Christmas shopping with the kids.  To get to Hornsby we took the train which consists of a 40 minute ride.  

Now, as some of you may know, our daughter Amelia is...well...let's just say she is a VERY vocal little girl.  She has two volume levels: on and off.  That's it.  On or off.  And I often dread taking public transport for this very reason.  

So yesterday as we started out on our trip, we missed the first train.  No big deal, next one was in 20 minutes.  The kids did OK while we waited.  It wasn't until there was a minute or two left till the train arrived that Amelia started to make a bit of a fuss.  So I put her in her stroller and gave her a lollipop/sucker to keep her quiet.  (Those things work wonderfully!)  

When the train arrived, we hopped on and luckily we got a train where we could sit down with the strollers right next to us so the kids could have the option of the stroller or the seat.
And like most kids, they all of course chose the seat.  The three of them, Joseph, Isobel, and Amelia were so excited.  They were screaming and singing and carrying on like little kids do when they are experiencing something new and exciting.  

Now, here's where it gets good, keep reading.

Well, about 20 minutes into the trip a woman approaches me and asks what station we are getting off at, I kindly told her Hornsby, and smiled politely like you do.  To which she responded, "Well good.  It's a bit out of control and I was going to change carriages."

Sharon, being the good friend that she is, stood up for me and told this woman she was being extremely rude and that she should change carriages.  Sharon asked her if she had ever had children and the woman said, "Yes, but they never acted like this."  The argument went back and forth for a few minutes and then the woman looked at Sharon and said, "I wasn't talking to you."  And stormed off back to her seat.

No joke!  That really happened.  True story.  I was shocked, embarrassed, no, humiliated.  It was my little girl making the most rukus.  

I love my little girl.  How dare this woman come down on her excitement!!  I know she's loud, (she was definitely louder than Isobel or Joseph) but at least it's a happy loud...most of the time.  

I just don't think the world is ready for my little girl.  

5 comments:

Kiersti said...

Coming from a fellow mom of an extremely noisy little girl, I can't believe that woman! You are better than me for being able to keep you cool. Don't be embarrased, she should be the one that feels embarrassed. Just think that even though her kids may have been quiter, they probably didn't have near the personality that Amelia does. Not that I know personally, I can just imagine :).

The Blunck Family said...

Sharon sounds like a good friend. That lady was way out of line. Amelia can make all the noise she wants. You should of told that lady that she was being too noisy for your daughter and you'd appreciate it if she would be quieter.

Unknown said...

Don't you just wish she had simply switched carriages without bothering you guys? She didn't need to come up to all of you and cause a scene. Either hang out and listen to the ruckus or leave...easy, right?

Kendal and Alissa said...

Wow that lady had a lot of nerve to come up and do that. People are so crazy sometimes. I wouldn't let it bother you, but I'm glad Sharon talked back to her!

Amanda Udy said...

INSANE!!! I would have loved to be there so I could put my 2 cents in! Don't even let it bother you. That lady is a grinch!