Sunday 8 February 2009

Mr. Huntsman (spider) comes out to play

Huntsman spiders are everywhere in Sydney. There was one time we were riding in the car, and a huge one ran across the windscreen and freaked out the driver. We found this lil' guy in the garage on Saturday, and when we got back from our LDS stake conference regional broadcast, we found him squatting in our apartment hoping to take over our lease.

Amelia trying to stay cool downin' an ice cream bar (as fast as she could before the record heat took its toll)
Our newfound buddy in the garage next to Amelia's favourite movie (DVD case shown for scale...and because Amelia wants the spider's name to be Charlotte)

After we got back from Church, Brad knocked it from its perch with a broom stick and chased it around and finally caught it with the bug viewer (thanks Paul & Sharon for the best Christmas pressie for Milz and I ever!)
close up...if you look closely, it ripped off one of its own legs and started chewing on it. Maybe thats to show he/she means business?

her legs need a good shave, thats for sure
Amelia wanted desperately to play "Itsy Bitsy Spider" with Charlotte, but we had to enforce the "stay in the bug viewer" rule, esp after we got a good glimpse of her chompers from underneath

4 comments:

The Blunck Family said...

Yuk! I don't like that spider at all! Although I know Korbin would love it. Be sure and leave the spider in Australia and check your luggage for any stow aways. LOL Amelia is learning a lot about bugs isn't she?! She doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. Brad you sure are having a lot of fun wake boarding etc. Good for you. We are looking forward to hearing all about your time in Australia. Love you!

Kendal and Alissa said...

I'm sorry, but I am disgusted by this post (except for the cute family members)! I would die if I saw one of those in person. I don't even know if I could get that close to the bug viewer.....YUCK!

Kiersti said...

My spider nightmares were finally gone....until now!!! Aaagh!!

Bethani said...

Yucko! Those spiders are creepy! At least they're not poisonous. That bug viewer is AWESOME! When I have kids I'm totally going to get one.