Monday 23 February 2009

"Mommy, I wan binxth"

This is always a common phrase around our house (binxth=binks[+slurring]=binky=pacifier). That is, until today. I had always told myself that I would let her have it until she went to nursery and then we'd take it away. Well, she's been in nursery for a few months now and while I was in there yesterday I realized what a health hazard it can be. So I decided that today would be the day. And so far so good!!

We went to the shops first thing this morning and I let her pick out a "dry-dry" (which is what she calls towells. I know it's weird, but it's the only other thing besides the "binx" that brings her comfort.) There was a bit of crying as she went down for a nap, but nothing overly dramatic, and it was so cute to see her snuggling up to her "dry-dry".

Then as I was putting her down for bed, I realized just how much the "binx" was a blessing for me...she wouldn't shut up!! I think it's time for me to get her some new books because she has all these memorized and was practically reading them to me!! There is a book about sheep and she kept saying, "Mommy, sheep. Mommy, sheep." Over and over and over. So I said, "Yes Amelia, sheep, sheep, sheep, sheep, sheep!!!" Every page after that it was, "sheep sheep sheep sheep." She's a quick learner!

And then after books I always sing her a song, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me," yes, I sing that song to her every night and again, she was singing it to me!! Totally off key but with all the gusto an almost two year old girl could get out. On the high notes she would belt it out!! I always try not to laugh and make her too excited at bedtime, but I couldn't help it, I was cracking up. Oh, we just love this little girl!!

5 comments:

Kiersti said...

So cute! I have the SAME things happen with mine - aren't they just so sweet? SO hard not to laugh sometimes.....and I guarantee this is just the beginning of the most hilarious comments you will ever hear! Someday our daughters will have to meet - it will be very noisy! Amelia is a doll!

Stephanie said...

So cute! You don't realize how much they are listening and REMEMBERING! We got rid of the binky when Paige was 14 months old...and it was hard for about a week.

Kendal and Alissa said...

She is so cute! I can tell she is going to be such a social butterfly. I can't wait to hear her sing. You should video record it and put it on the blog!

The Blunck Family said...

I agree with Alissa. Video Amelia so we can watch her and not miss all the cute little things she does. We love you all so much and are looking forward to seeing you next month! She sounds so smart to memorize books so young! and songs! amazing! Love you!

Georges said...

Oh the binky!! Noah still loves his too, but now we're down to just having it to sleep. This week we'll be transitioning to taking it away for good. Wish me luck!!