Saturday 19 November 2011

A New Way of Life: One Year Anniversary

I've had a lot of people ask me recently about making the switch to a whole food, plant based (vegan) diet and why I did it.  Next week will mark my one year anniversary of making the switch, so I thought I'd make a few posts about my journey...and why I'm not looking back.

This is me a little over a year ago.  Yikes right?!  You know that pink flowered picture could be something out of a horror film!



I was in a place where I wasn't feeling well, I hurt all the time, I was dead tired by the end of the day, and could not keep up with my kids, so I went to go and see a doctor with the suspicion of Fibromyalgia, (runs in the family).  Sure enough, he confirmed what I thought, gave me a prescription for a drug that sounded pretty scary, (side effect: feeling high most days.  Yeah right!  With 2 kids to look after?  I don't think so!) and said, "Most of fibromyalgia can be controlled by diet and exercise."  Right!  That's all I needed!  That was all I needed to hear!  This was NOT going to be something that controlled my life.  I was going to control it!  

I had a friend who had talked to me about a book called, The China Study and about losing a ton of weight by switching to a whole food, plant based (vegan) diet.  So I called her up and we sat down and she laid it all out for me.  She gave me tons of recipes, work out plans, books to read, and the best thing of all, all the encouragement I needed.  She was my rock!  So I went home and ordered The China Study.  When it arrived, I sat down and had a good read, loaded up my Netflix queue with all kinds of stuff to keep me motivated, and got to work.  I walked through my kitchen with a garbage bag and threw out all kinds of junk food.  And I wasn't looking back!  (Good thing I'm married to a really supportive guy!!)

It's not easy to make the switch, the first week is certainly the hardest, but as soon as you make it past that, if you've got the support you need, you can do anything!  You'll crave all kinds of stuff, you'll go hungry because you've got no idea what to eat, and you'll learn to love all kinds of vegetables that you never new existed!

So over the next few posts, I plan to lay out tips and tricks that helped me.  I will give you resources to check out, websites to peruse, videos to watch, and hopefully a little bit of motivation to get you going.  

Thanks for reading!  Stay tuned and tomorrow I'll show what I look like today!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Kim, I'm so excited to hear about your transition. I feel so overwhelmed by all things "healthy food". A couple of years ago we watched Food, Inc. and I read Food Matters and really felt the desire to change our diet. Not necessarily to a vegan diet but to a substantially more plant-based one. How did you get Brad on board? I'm very excited for your next few posts!

Kendal and Alissa said...

I'm excited too!! Wow that really is crazy to see your before pictures. My weight has always gone up and down. It's crazy to see pictures of yourself at your highest weight, because you know you don't feel the best, but I never think I look THAT bad/big until I look back at photos. Can't wait to hear your story! I too feel overwhelmed by eating healthy. I have tons and tons of questions. For one....how often do you go shopping to get fruits and veggies? Do a lot of them go bad at your house? How do you make sure you are on top of your produce? Just a few ?'s to start :).