Thursday 26 June 2008

Written up in Bloomberg news!

***Bloomberg News Article link (click here)***

For those of you who may recall, back in June 2007 when we still lived in the USA, I (Brad) secured the second in line position at the Pentagon City Apple Store (Virginia, USA) to be one of the first (probably within the top 10-20 in the world for opening day acquisitions, because of our location/time zone) to get an iPhone 1.0. Anyway, the lot of us in line were photographed, interviewed, taped for news, etc.

One of those reporters, Connie Guglielmo of Bloomberg News, emailed me a couple weeks back mentioning she was doing a follow-up article for the new iPhone 3G model:
Connie Guglielmo of Bloomberg News here. I spoke with you last year after you bought your iPhone. We're doing a one-year anniversary story for the iPhone and wanted to ask you a few questions:
1. Have you been happy with the iPhone? Did you make the right decision buying one? What do you like the best/wish they'd fix?
2. Apple just announced the new 3G model, which will go on sale for $199 in the U.S. on July 11. Are you planning to upgrade to the new model --and if you do, who's getting your current model? Does the price drop bother you -- do you think the price you paid a year ago (even with the September rebate) was worth it?

Let me know if you have any time to talk. If not, I'm happy to take your comments in email. - connie
I immediately wrote back in excitement (who doesn't want to be written up in world news???):
Hey Connie,
Hope you're doing well!
1. Yes, I absolutely love the iPhone, and haven't had any problems with it since being the second one into the Pentagon City Apple store. Of course I made the right decision, why would anyone go a year without the iPhone goodness waiting for the next model (we all knew there would be a 3G version eventually back then...), or settle for some Microsoft mobile OS-running rubbish? The best part about the iPhone is its use of Safari as the browser (actual web-surfing, and not the 'fake' web you get on a Blackberry), and of course, the touch sensitive screen! The things I wish they'd fix are embodied perfectly in the 3G version.
2. Of course I'll upgrade (maybe even camp out again...). Current model will probably go to the highest bidder (or family member who begs the most :). I'm stoked about the price drop, and understand the economies of scale and for Apple's desire to get the iPhone into as many hands as possible. It shows that the company cares about the end user. Besides, the more people with iPhones, the more software
developers will take it on as a viable platform. Win win for me and Apple. I would pay the price I paid last year again if I had to do it over...its been worth every cent (maybe even more?)! - Brad
And, as news articles apparently go, she wanted to change my quote to fit the article, and I totally didn't care, and there you have it! (click the link above to read the actual article) Funny that she didn't follow up to see if I'd changed jobs or moved (since I haven't worked for NatGeo since Oct 2007 and we now live in Sydney, Australia!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should send the article to Apple and ask for some freebies for promoting their product!! "Apple Devotee" Nice review...I'm seriously considering one now...don't know about camping out though!