Sunday 26 April 2009

Nothing like family!

So I've just got to take a personal minute here and praise my Dad. (What am I talking about? This blog is all about personal minutes!!) I come from a great family, well, Brad and I both do, but I think you tend to forget that when you live so far away from them for so long. You can talk on the phone and "catch-up" but it's never quite the same as seeing them in action.

My parents have always been big into serving others. As far back as I can remember if my dad would receive a phone call from someone in need he would be out the door in a heartbeat. He'd never asked questions, he'd just go. Well, this weekend we experienced a bit of that.

You see, for the last few years all of our "stuff" has been stored in their basement taking up space and collecting dust. And just yesterday my dad hooked the trailer up to their SUV, loaded them both as full as they would go, and drove 8-10 (well, what should have been 8-10 hours) down to LA just because he loves us. Due to unforseen circumstances the drive ended up taking a lot longer than he had planned. He arrived at our home at 8:00 PM, we (well, the boys) unloaded the goods, Dad had a sleep, and then by 7:00 the next morning he was off and running again to return home because he was worried about my Mom (or so he says. It was probably just my cooking he was running away from.)

Brad and I are still in complete awe of this complete act of selflessness. My dad totally put his own cares and worries on the back burner and came to help us. I am humbled and rejuvenated by this whole experience. You see, you always KNOW that you come from a good family, but sometimes you forget just how good they really are. I have always wanted to be like my dad and this helped me remember the reasons why. Thank you so much dad! You will NEVER know just how loudly your actions have spoken to us. Thank you for the example. We love you so much!

Also, thanks to Mom, Kendal, and Kristen for helping with the loading and to Kacey, Amy, Josh, and Emma for all your help with the unloading! Family really is the best thing in the world!! I love you guys!

5 comments:

Liz said...

That made me cry! (In a good way!) I love your Dad, too! And all your family, for that matter! What a GREAT example for all of us! And how nice to have your things back!

Carolyn said...

Maybe he was just sick of your stuff in his basement. Just kidding! I love your dad. He and your mom have both always been so kind and giving to us.

The Blunck Family said...

Dad is an amazing man! I am so blessed to know we will be together forever! I love him so much and appreciate his example. Being part of a family means making sacrifices and supporting each other.

Kelly said...

Your dad and my dad must be brothers or something :) Always serving. I love being around them both! (And especially when they're together - it's a crack up!)

Kendal and Alissa said...

Karl is amazing! Wow to do that trip in two days shows how much he loves all of us and is willing to serve. We are so glad to have you back in the U.S. We can't wait to visit (and now you'll have a whole new house with all of your belongings....YAY!)